Saturday, July 3, 2010

Corning Recap From "The Glen"

Cat 5 Report from Hey-Soos:  Was cool to drive down to Watkins Glen again with my dad.  We hadn't been in years.  My dad has a long history there (since the 60's) as a driver, instructor, flagman, promoter, media assistant, and of course, spectator.  Needless to say, it was a bit nastalgic for the both of us, though no tears were shed.  I was already familiar with the track layout, but the warmup lap soothed my fears of any real climbs.  Realized we could "big ring" the rollers and hills.  My other fear was that if it rained that the track would be "greazy" from all the car activity.  Not so.  The Cat 5 race started right after the 4's, precisely at 4:31.  We were immediately instructed that the race would only be 3 laps, and were told that the top finishers would be right around the 30 minute mark.  Lap 1 was pretty uneventful.  Same with Lap 2 until the short straight on "The Boot" where I was at the wrong place at the wrong time.  The group splintered up a bit and separated to 2 groups leaving me a bit behind.  At the first turn of Lap 3 I encouraged the guys I was with to try and catch the lead group.  No luck so I tried to bridge the gap.  No luck again.  The group(s)? splintered even more and I was with 4 guys with about 2 turns to the finish.  Not sure where the lead guys were but I decided to at least get some positions on the guys I was with.  I took 3 of the 4 on the last straight but couldn't get the 4th.  I ended up 12th of 35 per chip timing.  I looked at my computer at the finish and realized that 3 laps (as decided by the officials) was only 26 minutes.  I really wish they would have let us do 4.  Fun race (even though it was short) at a really cool facility.

 Cat 4 and 3/4:  Great racing, lots of Ommegangsters present and great results ....   A big congrats to Eric & Craig with a 1-2 finish in the "4" field and ditto again to Eric w/a podium in the 3/4 event.

Results link:

http://www.bikereg.com/Results/2010/06/26-Corning-Circuit-Race.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment