Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Mt. Snow Power Couple & a Mean Queen

Jeffina Race Report from Mt. Snow:
Arrived at the race venue and Jeff had a flat tire which he very
quickly changed out. After warming up, he had another flat tire.
His adrenaline was racing as he frantically worked to get it changed
out and roll up for staging. I'borrowed' a tube from the Kenda tent
on the honor system for Jeff, and after these minor ups and downs,
we were both ready to go.

The single-speeders start in front of all the other
experts. The announcer gave Jeff some air time as he publicly
announced that Jeff was the only individual on a single speed
AND rigid fork and thought that he should have his IQ checked.
Jeff had a great race with no major spills and finished 3rd!
The SS division is not split up into age groups and as you can
imagine, the #1 and #2 riders were quite a few
years younger than Jeff.

As for me, I had an unbelievable race. They started all the
cat. 1 women together with intentions to score us out by age group.
I had a top 10 overall and won the 40-49 age group. I beat women
who have beat me all season.

Meanwhile Eric the Bolt headed to the Queen City
Crit out Buffalo way ..
.

I went to Buffalo and signed up for the 4/5 and the 3/4 races.
Races were on an 8 turn course with the usual inner city broken
roads, potholes, and manhole covers.

The 4/5 race was first and I felt really good and liked my chances.
I took the $25 prime and was counting down the remaining laps until
I would have to make my move for the finish. Heading into a fast
90 degree corner with a little over 2 laps to go I got taken out
at over 20mph by a guy who got hit by another guy fighting for the
inside line with another guy.His bars hooked my bars as he slammed
into me and I actually did some sort of cartwheel and landed on my
back and back of my head. I remember being surprised at how far I
was sliding down the road on my back. Then as I was sliding I
started getting pissed as I knew my brand new Team SCARR-Ommegang
skinsuit was getting shredded along with the layers of skin on my
back. My skinsuit was jacked, my helmet was jacked, my freakin'
Cervelo was jacked, and my back looked like hamburger.Race over.
I don't think my $25 prime will cover the damage!

After assessing the damage, and some medical attention, I decided
to do the 3/4 race with shredded kit and all. I tried to work the
front for awhile to avoid the pack in the turns but realized I would
explode if I tried to maintain that pace for the whole hour. About
half way through the 3/4 race we were strung out in a very long pace
line when somebody touched a wheel and went down. A rider behind him
hit him square in the back and did a complete arse over head flip
over him with his bike launched as if from a catapult. The last thing
I remember seeing from that carnage was the second riders Zipp 404
sliding across in front of me with only the fork attached. The whole
scene reminded me of the movie Days of Thunder and drivers plowing
through the crash scene hoping not to become part of the carnage.
By the end of the second race I was just content to finish upright
and finished middle of the group sprint finish around 15th.

No comments:

Post a Comment